Monday, June 27, 2011

1st Day(s)...

Well! OFFICIAL Day 1 is almost over, but one cannot discount Move-In Day!

After 5 hours of driving, my family and I arrived at 1 o'clock to absolute [organized] chaos. First we unloaded my 3 tubs, 1 large suitcase, 1 small suitcase, 1 carry-on bathroom bag, my laptop (the broken one with a lid that won't close, of course!), and my purse to the curb. While my dad and brother removed the car to the parking deck a few blocks away, my mother stood guard over my things, while I went inside Hopper to find out where to go. After finding my name on the wall and the correlating room number, I was off to my second  floor dorm to meet and check-in with my RA, Ashley.

Now that I was checked-in, I could go BACK down to the curb to move in my "stuff". Of course, my father and brother were still not back yet, so my mom and I moved in ourselves. They were back by the time we got to the tubs, but mom and I got to play at being "buff" and somehow maneuvered my largest suitcase up to the second floor. (There are elevators, but it was like cutting through  a jungle to get through the mass of people in the halls!) After moving in, my parents got to meet my RA and I got to get my picture made for my ID card. I thought the picture would be terrible, considering my face had melted from the heat, but it turned out not to be so bad! In line I ran into my friend John from back home, and we got to catch up while we waited for our parents to return from their meeting and for ours to start at 4pm. Turned out to be a bad idea, killing time on Move-In day, and you'll soon find out why!

My parents said their good-bye's at the entrance to Whitehead Auditorium, where the Student Orientation was to be held. It was a fun meeting, full of laughs as 2 GHP Alumni shared their stories along with the directors. After the Student meeting we had dinner, but everyone was released at once, so the line was 695 students long! And, I was near to being dead last. I was out in the sun for what seemed like 30 minutes...a bit of an exaggeration, but of course every minute in 90+ degree heat feels like infinity. Piece of advice...RUN to the front on Move-In day dinner!!!! You'll also like to know that VSU has a new kitchen service, which is MUCH better than in years past--at least that's what the RAs and instructors say who've been here year after year!

After dinner, we had a hall check and meeting with our RAs, then another official meeting in Whitehead with all the RAs, and then off to our Major's meeting that ended at 10:20pm. Best meeting of them all--CommArts is the best! Awesome classes we got to choose, but I'll tell of them later. Anyway, at 10:20 everyone was running back to the dorms, since 10:30 is another hall check and hall meeting. We received our IDs, which double as our room keys at Hopper, which ended up being faulty and did NOT open the dorms! At 11:00, I was panicking! We'd just finished the last meeting, 11:30 was LIGHTS OUT, and--here's the trouble I alluded to earlier--I STILL hadn't unpacked, much less made my bed! (Future GHP-ers out there, PLEASE unpack before you make friends!!!! Don't be me!!!) As Ashley came by to check on our lights, I was still making my bed. I hurriedly finished and by her third check  in 3 minutes I had also thrown on my PJ's, shut out the lights (roomies having gone to bed already), and jumped in bed. No phone call home last night, sorry Mommy!

Day 2, the OFFICIAL first day with classes and all, began at 6am this morning. But that and the list of stuff to pack I promised will have to wait until tomorrow, as the Student Union is about to close and I am still typing!!! Try again as soon as I can!!! (promise not so long tomorrow...)

TO BE CONTINUED...

PS. GHP is great! Just hectic on move in day!

No comments:

Post a Comment